Pax with Virgin and Child

European
Imitation of Gothic
19th or early 20th century


Object Place: Europe, Germany, Upper Rhine

Dimensions

17.15 x 11.75 cm (6 3/4 x 4 5/8 in.)

Accession Number

57.590

Medium or Technique

Copper (100% copper, traces of lead and tin)

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Ecclesiastical ornaments

Thin copper plaque with gabled top engraved on the front with an enthroned Virgin and Child; a molded frame of five pieces riveted to the edges; and a solid copper handle, rectangular in section, bent, riveted, and soldered to the back. Against an unevenly crosshatched ground is a solid backless throne with an inconsistenly foreshortened top. The frontal Virgin with elongated torso actually sits in front of the throne with her head turned in three quarter view to the right. Holding a bird in his left hand, he extends his right arm in a gesture of blessing. The Virgin wears a gown tied under the bust with a rope ending in a tassel and with vertical rope-like folds over the midsection and a collar and placket decorated with punched circles. Over her shoulders is a mantle with what appears to be a collar on the right side; both garments fall over the knees in soft flowing curves with hairpin folds. Like the child, she has a rounded face with large double-edged eyes, small nose, and straight mouth. Over her hair, pulled back above the ears and presumably rolled up in back, is a large crown with seven points, the central one ending in a rosette. Her halo is inscribed around the perimeter with letters turned outward: AVE MARIA GRATIA.

Provenance

Robert Forrer (b. 1866 - d. 1947), Strasbourg [see note]. 1957, sold by M.H. Drey, Ltd., London, to the MFA for $395. (Accession Date: September 12, 1957)

NOTE: According to notes in the MFA curatorial files.

Credit Line

William E. Nickerson Fund