Pilgrim flask

Egyptian
New Kingdom to Roman Period
1550 B.C.–A.D. 337


Dimensions

Height x diameter: 12 x 9.9 cm (4 3/4 x 3 7/8 in.)

Accession Number

72.543

Medium or Technique

Travertine (Egyptian alabaster)

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Vessels

A shape known as a “pilgrim flask” because it resembled the canteens carried by later religious pilgrims, this vessel originally had two small handles that are now broken off and missing. The rim is plain, and the base is rounded. It is adorned with a looped and knotted cord pattern in low relief. It is heavily restored.

Provenance

By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way