Plaque with Busts of Apostles Andrew and Philip

Southern Netherlands (Meuse)
Medieval
third quarter of 12th century
Maker Unidentified


Dimensions

5.1 x 7.2 cm (2 x 2 13/16 in.)

Accession Number

47.1440

Medium or Technique

Champlevé enamel and gilding on copper

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Enamels

[inscription] Slightly convex rectangular plaque with six pinholes. Hammered, champlevé, enameled, and gilded. Enamel colors are azure blue (two shades), light blue, green (two shades), yellow, turquoise, red and white in single and mixed fields of up to three colors. Azure-blue and white frames enclose a three-quarter bust of an Apostle holding an open scroll with white on the curling edges and blue inscriptions from the Apostles’ Creed. Reserved heads and hands are engraved and filled with blue enamel (see radiograph, fig. 5, Swarzenski and Netzer, 1986). Saint Andrew (inscribed.S[AN]C[TU]S.ANDREAS.) with curly hair and long beard, holds the passage .CELI.ET.TERRE.ET.IN.IH[ESU]M. Saint Philip (inscribed .S[AN]C[TU]S.PHILIPPUS.), balding and with a short beard, carries the following passage of the Creed: XP[ISTU]M.FILIUM.EIUS.UNICUIM. Both have turquoise halos edged in white highlights. The colors of Philip’s garments are identical to Andrew’s but those of tunic and pallium are reversed, and his right sleeve is lined in red with white dots.

Provenance

1937, Aldo Jandolo, Rome; August 29, 1937, sold by Jandolo to Joseph Brummer (b. 1883 - d. 1947), New York (stock no. P14048); 1947, transferred to the Brummer Gallery, New York and sold to the MFA for $6500. (Accession Date: November 13, 1947)

Credit Line

Juliana Cheney Edwards Collection