Plaque with Busts of Four Angels

German (Cologne)
Medieval
about 1220–30
Maker Unidentified artist (Swedish)


Dimensions

2.9 x 13.3 cm (1 1/8 x 5 1/4 in.)

Accession Number

41.218

Medium or Technique

Champlevé enamel and gilding on copper

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Enamels

Rectangular plaque with four pinholes. Hammered, champlevé, enameled, and gilded. Enamel colors are lapis blue, red, white, and green in single and mixed fields of three colors. Four red arches contain busts of angels in reserve against a lapis-blue ground. The angels are arranged in facing pairs. Between the arches and under smaller scalloped arches in reserve are fields of white, blue, and green enamel. Rough crosshatching in blue enamel fills the space between the arches and the upper border. On the reverse are two sets of zigzag bands (chisel trials or assembly marks) at each end and an accession number, “966,” in white over india ink.

Provenance

By 1925, Arnold, Seligmann Rey and Co., New York; April 27, 1926, half-share sold to Brummer Gallery, New York (stock no. H24); May 11, 1940, half-share sold by Brummer back to Arnold Seligmann Rey and Co.; 1941, sold by Arnold Seligmann Rey to the MFA for $400. (Accession Date: April 10, 1941)

Credit Line

Harriet Otis Cruft Fund