Plaque with Two Apostles in Medallions
last quarter of 12th century
Object Place: Europe, North Germany
5.2 x 9.7 cm (2 1/16 x 3 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Champlevé enamel and gilding on copper
Not On View
Rectangular plaque with six pinholes. Hammered, champlevé, enameled, and gilded. Enamel colors are lapis blue, green, and red in single fields Two facing Apostles with centrally parted long hair, one bearded and the other clean shaven, are placed against a lapis-blue ground in medallions with green borders. Each has a green halo and holds a green book. Figures are in reserve with details engraved and filled with red enamel. The background is lapis blue. A vertical zigzag band (possibly an assembly mark or chisel trial) appears on the reverse.
Richard von Passavant-Gontard, Frankfurt. Harry Fuld (b. 1879 - d. 1932), Frankfurt; by descent to his widow, Lucie Mayer-Fuld (b. 1892 - d. 1966), Frankfurt, Berlin, and the United States; 1943, sold by Mrs. Fuld, through Raphael Stora, New York, to the MFA for $300 [see note 1]. (Accession Date: October 14, 1943)
 An undated document by Georg Swarzenski in the MFA curatorial files recommends the purchase of a large group of medieval works of art from the Fuld collection. The collection is said to be offered for sale by the owner, that is, Harry Fuld's widow. Among the objects listed is this enamel plaque -- one of only two the MFA acquired from the group (43.216 and 43.217). Both were purchased from the dealer Raphael Stora in 1943. Thanks are extended to Dr. Caroline Flick for clarifying the identity of the seller.
Seth K. Sweetser Fund