Belgium (Tervuren)
about 1775
Attributed to Tervuren Manufactory, Probably painted by Georg Christoph Lindemann, Decoration designed by Franz Edmund Weirotter (Austrian, 1733–1771)

Object Place: Europe, Belgium


2.2 cm (7/8 in.)

Accession Number


Medium or Technique

Soft-paste porcelain decorated in polychrome enamels and gold

On View

Charles C. Cunningham Gallery (Gallery 247)





The circular plate has a shaped gold edge, the wide rim in spirally molded with four groups of three curved panels, which are slightly convex. The panels are painted in puce with a diaper pattern in a darker shade. Each panel is edged by raised green ribbing, which also borders the inside of the rim, there outlined in gold. Four reserves with polychrome floral sprays on a white ground are interspersed between each group of curved panels. On the white ground of the center of the plate is a pale green trellised border edged with small gold flowers. Within this frame is a polychrome estuary scene in a range of subdued hues including brown, lavender, blue-green, pale turquoise, and yellow. To the left, on a promontory extending into the estuary, stand the moss-covered ruins of a castle surrounded by a stone rampart. At the end of the promontory are three figures, and a sail boat is nearby in the water. Two smaller boats are visible as well as a windmill in the distance on the right and a town silhouetted in the left background. Several birds fly overhead. Pilings and large stones with scruffy foliage appear in the foreground.


(1) on base, in rose enamel: Cross of Lorraine
(2) on base, incised: O

Credit Line

Gift of Rita and Frits Markus