first half of the 13th century
Made at Limoges (France)
Object Place: Europe, Limoges, France
8.6 cm (3 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Champlevé enamel and gilding on copper
Not On View
Round container, enameled outside and gilded inside, with a conical lid, knob on top, hinge, and clasp. The bottom plaque is attached by six mortise-and-tenon joints. Copper plaques are bent and soldered, champlevé, engraved, enameled, and gilded. Enamel colors are lapis blue and white in single fields. On both the body and the lid, gilded bands with two rows of engraved dots frame lapis-blue grounds containing reserved discs (six on the body, four on the lid). Separated by engraved and gilded curved stems with profile leaves, the discs (engraved only on the lid) contain white asters with eight petals and gilded centers.
By 1889, presumably inherited from her husband by Mrs. T.F. Richardson, Washington, D.C. [see note 1]; April 5, 1932, inherited by her daughter Mrs. Charles J. White [see note 2]; by 1961, inherited by her husband Dr. Charles J. White, Boston, MA; 1961, gift of Dr. Charles J. White. (Accession date: April 12, 1961)
 From December 6, 1889, this object was lent to the MFA by the Mrs. T. F. Richardson as the property of "the late T.F. Richardson" (MFA Loan 1341, no. 5).  In 1932, the loan to the museum was transferred to Mrs. Charles J. White (MFA Loan No. 81.32).
Gift of Dr. Charles J. White