Royal double gong

Provenance

1897, removed from the Benin Royal Palace during the Punitive Expedition by Dr. Felix Norman Ling Roth (b. 1857 – d. 1921); 1897, given by Roth to his brother, Henry Ling Roth (b. 1855 – d. 1925), Halifax, England; May 11, 1898, sold by Henry Ling Roth for £ 20 to Lt.-General Augustus Henry Pitt-Rivers (b. 1827 - d. 1900), Farnham, England; until the 1960s, kept at the Pitt-Rivers Museum, Farnham, and passed by descent within the family [see note]; 1970s, sold upon the dispersal of the collection. 2012, promised gift of Robert Owen Lehman to the MFA.



NOTE:

The collection of the privately-owned Pitt-Rivers museum passed by descent through Augustus Henry Pitt-Rivers’s son Alexander Lane Fox Pitt-Rivers to his grandson, Captain George Pitt-Rivers (1890-1966) and his common law wife, Stella Howson-Clive (Pitt-Rivers). The museum closed in the 1960s and the collection was sold.

Credit Line

Robert Owen Lehman Collection

Royal double gong

Dimensions
Length x width: 28.6 x 10.8 cm (11 1/4 x 4 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Copper alloy
Classification
Musical instruments
Accession Number
L-G 7.7.2012
On view
Benin Kingdom Gallery - 172

Multimedia

Tags