Late Etruscan (Hellenistic) Period
2nd or 1st century B.C.
Sculpture in Stone (MFA), no. 386.
Height x width x length: 63 x 58 x 210 cm (24 13/16 x 22 13/16 x 82 11/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Volcanic stone (peperino or tufa)
Not On View
The body of the sarcophagus has been broken into a number of sections requiring extensive repairs.
The lid is 00.683.2. A man in an ample himation reclines on a pillow, a libation dish in his right hand. He resembles the famous obesus etruscus so popular in the last two centuries of Etruscan art, but he is in fact relatively slender, with an elongated body and a distorted chest. Much paint remains. Body, arm, hands, and dish have been colored brown, while the hair is a strong red and the cap with its rolled brim is a distinct yellow.
According to a letter from the American Exploration Society, dated December 15, 1900, the sarcophagus was one of sixteen sarcophagi found in the necropolis of the ancient city of Musarna in the territory of Viterbo, on the bank of the River Leia, now part of the estate of Signor Alarico Piatti; gift of the American Exploration Society to MFA, December, 1900
Gift of the American Exploration Society