Saturday Evening

early 19th century
Michele Felice Cornè (American (born in Italy), 1752–1845)


Object Place: Peabody, Massachusetts, United States

Dimensions

126.4 x 123.8 cm (49.75 x 48.75 in.)

Accession Number

22.806.1

Medium or Technique

Oil on canvas

On View

Oak Hill: Dining Room (Gallery 121A)

Collections

Americas

Classifications

Paintings

Provenance

Oak Hill, built in 1800-1, in Danvers (later South Danvers, now Peabody), Massachusetts, for Nathaniel (1756-1851) and Elizabeth Derby (1762-1814) West; 1806, Elizabeth Derby given full ownership per terms of divorce settlement; 1814, following Elizabeth Derby's death, the house and its property were bequeathed in equal shares to her three daughters Martha (1787-1851), Eliza (1790-1849), and Sarah (1797-1819); 1819, one-third share returned to Nathaniel West by inheritance from his unmarried daughter Sarah who died that year; July 1826, one-third share deeded to Nathaniel West by Edward Lander (1787-1862), husband of daughter Eliza; September 1840, one-third share deeded to Nathaniel West by daughter Martha; June 1850, "West Farm" containing "Mansion House, Farm House, Barns and all other buildings thereon," sold by Nathaniel West to Elizabeth Leavitt Rogers (1814-1853); 1853, at Elizabeth Roger's death, life interest in property bequeathed to her husband, Richard Saltonstall Rogers (1790-1873), and a trust estate to their three children, Dudley (1848-1873), George W. (b. 1850), and Elizabeth (b. 1853); October 1877, following the deaths of Richard Saltonstall Rogers and Dudley Rogers, the property was deeded by George W. Rogers and Elizabeth Rogers Pound to Elizabeth Putnam Peabody Rogers (d. 1921), wife of Jacob Crowninshield Rogers; 1922, following Elizabeth Roger's death, three rooms from Oak Hill (parlor, dining room, and bedroom) along with paintings from the parlor ("Sunday Morning") and dining room ("Saturday Evening") and the interior frame of the entrance doorway were sold by the executor of the estate to the Museum of Fine Arts for $14,472.70, with the remainder of the house sold to St. John's Normal College. (Accession Date: December 7, 1922)

Credit Line

Charles Amos Cummings Fund and anonymous gift