Porcelain:Possibly German; Mounts:French (Paris)
Porcelain: 1725–50?; Mounts: 1756–62
Possibly made by Meissen Manufactory (Germany)
10.9 x 4.5 x 2.1 cm (4 5/16 x 1 3/4 x 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Hard-paste porcelain decorated in gold foil and red and green enamel; silver-gilt mounts
Not On View
Flattened pear-shaped bottle is fluted on the two narrow sides and is surmounted by a silver-gilt collar, stopper, and connecting chain. Four sides of the bottle decorated with figural scenes, birds and flowers in raised gold foil and green and pale red enamel. On larger side, motif may depict St. John the Baptist, on other side, a kneeling figure.
Porcelain: none. Silver: a shell, Paris disharge mark for small work , 1756-62
By 1911, Comte X. de Chavagnac, Paris; June 19-21, 1911, sold by Comte X. at Hotel Drouot, Paris, no. 79, and bought by Samson [see note 1]. By 1948, with Mrs. H. Dupuy, New York; April 2-3, 1948, sold by Mrs. H. Dupuy at Parke Bernet, New York, lot 238 and bought by Forsyth Wickes, New York and Newport, RI (d. 1964); 1965, bequest of Forsyth Wickes. (Accession Date: December 24, 1965)
 According to Jeffrey H. Munger, in "The Forsyth Wickes Collection" (1992, p. 263), Samson is listed as the buyer of no. 79 in a handwritten notation in a copy of the Chavagnac sale catalogue now in the Dept. of Medieval and Later Antiquities, British Museum.
Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection