Italian (Venice or Tyrol)
late 18th century
Object Place: Europe, Venice, Italy
Height 33.34 cm (13 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Glazed earthenware (?)
Not On View
Sharp features; in buttoned blue jacket, red scarf around upthrust chin, curly wig. Cross-legged on square stool, shoes tucked under at front, scissors on top. Right arm raised.
Possibly Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; possibly sold from the Bondy collection to Blumka Gallery, New York; March 15, 1962, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1983, bequest of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 12, 1983)
 According to a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to Perry Rathbone of the MFA (March 13, 1962; in MFA curatorial file). Attempts to identify the sculpture in inventories of Oscar Bondy's collection have not been successful.
With the Anschluss, or annexation of Austria to Nazi Germany in March, 1938, the possessions of Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy were seized and expropriated almost immediately by Nazi forces. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market, particularly through Blumka Gallery. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.
Bequest of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson