Second-course dish with cover
François-Thomas Germain (French, 1726–1791)
Object Place: Europe, Paris, France
Medium or Technique
Out on Loan
Out On Loan
One of a pair of second-course dishes and fluted domed covers with vegetal finials, the borders of the dishes engraved with the Russian Imperial Arms
struck with St. Petersburg marks for 176?
Du no. 2 777
1757, ordered by Empress Elisabeth (b. 1709 - d. 1762) as part of the "Parisian" silver service for the Imperial Court of Russia; by descent within the Russian Imperial family and, probably by about 1930, dispersed and sold [see note]. March 19, 1971, sold by S. J. Phillips, Ltd., London, to Elizabeth Parke Firestone (b. 1897 - d. 1990) and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. (b. 1898 - d. 1973), Akron, OH and Newport, RI; 1993; gift of the estate of Elizabeth Parke Firestone and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. to the MFA. (Accession Date: May 26, 1993)
NOTE: Several pieces of silver from the Parisian service, which was transferred to the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, were sold about 1930, when many sales from Russian state museums took place. Other pieces had been dispersed as early as the nineteenth century. It is not known precisely when this dish was removed from the silver service. See Christiane Perrin, François Thomas Germain: Orfèvre des Rois (Paris, 1993), pp. 203-209.
Elizabeth Parke Firestone and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. Collection