Section of floor tiles
Object Place: Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Overall (approximately): 55.9 x 55.9 cm (22 x 22 in.)
Medium or Technique
Glazed earthenware, mortar, concrete
Jan and Warren Adelson Gallery (Gallery 221)
Section of tile floor consisting of multiple tiles set into concrete. One of twenty-five removed from the MFA’s East Wing before demolition.
1926, designed and made as part of a floor commissioned by the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston for the East Wing, then known as the "Decorative Arts Wing"; 1927, installed in the Italian Renaissance galleries on the second floor (at that point considered "Exhibitions 4 and 5"; 2006, 25 sections removed from flooring for preservation and remaining floor was demolished with East Wing; 2010, 8 sections were cleaned, conserved and mounted for display, 5 were installed in the American Renaissance gallery in the Art of the Americas wing; 2011, 8 conserved sections were officially accessioned into the MFA collection (Accession date: May 20, 2011)