Serpent and bird effigy staff
Place of Origin: Departments of Cundinamarca & Boyacá, Colombia
7.2 x 0.6 cm (2 13/16 x 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Copper and gold alloy
Not On View
Staff effigy with decorated end rendering a serpent’s head surmounted by a long-beaked bird.
Collected by Joaquin Arciniégas, Colombia, by March 1, 1906 (to San José, Costa Rica by May 23, 1908; to San Salvador, El Salvador by June 19, 1916); sold to Doctor Daniel Villatoro Rugama, San Salvador, El Salvador, August 6, 1929; sold to Oliverio Girondo, Paris, January 10, 1930 (to Argentina probably after 1946); with Leon Buki, Buenos Aires, Argentina by January 2, 1975; with Alphonse Jax, New York, by February 1975; to Landon T. Clay, Boston; to MFA, March 12, 1975, gift.
Gift of Landon T. Clay