Object Place: Europe, England
Overall: 117.5 x 154.3 x 63.5 cm (46 1/4 x 60 3/4 x 25 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Part of a Set 58.496-58.502. Walnut, stripped. Back of pierced baluster splats between square slat, short shaped pendants below, flattened quatrefoil above with trefoils on inside points and acorn finialon shaped rail, balls at corners. Square side posts taper at top.Curved arms have carving on scroll, arched supports and heavy shaped front one. Curved s eat, flat carved rail in arches; square legs, flat carved, spade feet, piercedbrackets front and sides.
By 1912, Earl of Leven and Melville, Kirtlington Park, Oxfordshire, England [see note 1]. Before 1950, Mrs. Solomon R. Guggenheim, Trillora Court, Port Washington, New York; November 1957, gift of Mrs. Solomon Guggenheim to the Springfield Museum of Fine Arts; 1958, received by exchange to the MFA.
In 1912, the suite of furniture was photographed by Country Life Ltd. in situ. Kirtlington Park was built by Sir James Dashwood, 2nd Baronet (1715–1779), after he had married an heiress, Elizabeth Spencer. Kirtlington Park, still unfinished at Dashwood's death, remained in the family until 1909, when Sir George John Egerton Dashwood, 6th baronet, sold the house to the Earl of Leven and Melville. By 1922, it was in the possession of Hubert Maitland Budget.
Decorative Arts Special Fund, by exchange