Object Place: prob. Pennsylvania, United States
Overall: 135.9 x 189.2 x 55.9 cm (53 1/2 x 74 1/2 x 22 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Large settle with a hooded back, which is paneled with five square panels above five oblong ones; the panels are fielded and there is a half-round molding bordering each of them; slanting back at the top is a hood with a molded front edge; each end board is cut with an ogee arch in its base and with a profile of a large knob above the arm slot; the overhanging seat is tenoned into the end boards and is scrolled at each end to carry back the front line; there is a deep skirt in front with a molded edge, and this and the end boards show faint red stain; the end boards, hood, and skirt are nailed with large rectangular-headed nails, while the seat has four tenons cut into each end board; the back extended to the floor originally and was painted red.
In pencil in late 19th or early 20th century script: "E. Samuelson / Trenton / NJ"
1921 or earlier, in the collection of the Rhode Island School of Design, Providence; 1958, given to the Museum in 1958 by the donors, the noted antiques firm Israel Sack, Inc., New York.(Accession Date March 13, 1958)
Gift of Israel Sack, Inc.