Marked by Thomas Ker
Object Place: Europe, Edinburgh, Scotland
7 x 34.5 x 24.5 cm (2 3/4 x 13 9/16 x 9 5/8 in.) Weight: 791 gm (25 oz 9 dwt)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The elliptical basin is raised from sheet and has a flared rim and a semicircle cut out of one of the long sides. The rim is strengthened on the underside with a half-round wire. The raised body of the elliptical ewer rests on a stepped food. The triangular spout has a baluster drop. A reeded wire lines the rim of the ewer. The domed cover is attached by the scolled thumbpiece, which is joined to the hinge on the handle. the ear-shaped handle is cast in two pieces and ahs a baluster drop at the top. The body has been rehammered, particularly at the base, and highly polished.
ARMORIALS: engraved on each, the arms and motto of Hamilton quartering Melrose for Thomas sixth Earl of Haddington.
SCRATCHES: scratched on underside of rim "1/62".
On underside of rim, maker's mark TK (Jackson, p.545); castle; assay mark P for James Penman; date letter r.
1702/1703, probably made for Thomas Hamilton, 6th Earl of Haddington (b. 1680 - d. 1735); by descent within the family [see note 1]. October 19, 1961, anonymous sale ("property of a nobleman"), Sotheby's, London, lot 156, to Garrard and Co., London, for £2,650; 1962, sold by Garrard and Co. to the MFA for £2,782 [see note 2]. (Accession Date: January 10, 1962)
 The basin was published as being in the Earl of Haddington collection as late as 1956; see Ian Finlay, Scottish Gold and Silver Work (London, 1956), p. 124. Whether the family consigned the ewer and basin to the 1961 auction has not been determined.  Sold together with MFA accession no. 62.4.
Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour