Side chair (one of a pair)
Attributed to Langley Boardman (1774–1833)
Object Place: Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Overall: 92.4 x 50.8 x 45.1 cm (36 3/8 x 20 x 17 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Mahogany, mahogany veneer, birch veneer, birch, eastern white pine
Not On View
The reeded stiles of the back have squares of satinwood inlaid at their junctures with the rails. The lower rail is similarly reeded, while the upper one is fluted and arches upward to a central panel of satinwood. The central vase-shaped splat is mahogany with satinwood inlay, and it is flanked by two vertical reeded bars. The stiles are plain at the base and curve inward. The seat has a bowed front and is upholstered over the frame. The tapered front legs are molded on the front and outside, and the rear legs curve outward. There are H-stretchers and a rear stretcher with a rounded top.
Part of a set of ten side and two armchairs made for Gen. John Lord, who gave them to his daughter Susannah for her wedding to Judge William Allen Hayes of Berwick, Maine, on June 2, 1811. They descended in the Hayes family and were purchased by the donors in 1945; see also 45.885 (Accession Date December 13, 1945)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Guy Warren Walker, Jr.