Object Place: England
Overall: 92.1 x 198.8 x 84.1 cm (36 1/4 x 78 1/4 x 33 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Mahogany, satinwood (?), pine, oak
Out on Loan
On display at The Parkman House, since June 13, 1973
Semi-circular form on six square tapering legs with inlaid pendent glowers. False drawers on ends are hinged doors, single large doors are next, and 2 long drawers are in the center. Silver elliptical escutcheons with acorns, bail handles. Top inlaid with rayed design with satinwood panels and lines.
Painted on outside of back in red paint: "BAXTER"
Stenciled label on the outside of a replacement bottom case board: " . . . ots"
Modern round plass plaque stamped "GEn. HENRY KNOX" affixed to interior of front center door.
According to family tradition, this sideboard belonged to Marie Antoinette and was brought to America by Captain Stephen Clough of Wiscasset, Maine, on board the Sally, in 1793 during the French revolution; after Marie's death (the legend states), the sideboard became the property of the ship owners, including James Swan, Jr,.; Swan, Jr., married Catherine Knox, daughter of Gen. Henry Knox, and gave the sideboard to Knox, who used it for many years at his house named Montpelier, in Thomaston, Maine; it became associated with a silver-plated urn and a knife box, also thought to have belonged to Marie Antoinette; by 1902, owned by Percival P. Baxtyer, Portland, Maine;February 1, 1932, lent anonymously by Percival P. Baxter (Governor of the State of Maine, 1921-1925); May 17, 1956, anonymous restriction lifted at the request of the lender 1962, gift of Percival P. Baxter .
Gift of Percival P. Baxter