Alexander Archipenko (Russian, 1887–1964)
49.2 x 21 x 15.2 cm (19 3/8 x 8 1/4 x 6 in.)
Medium or Technique
Metal; bronze with blue and green patination
Not On View
Stylized figure on squared black base. A circular lower section with projecting leg surmounted by rectangular section with angled side rising to a canopy which forms the shoulders. Concave oblong section forms the head. Blue-green patina.
signed and dated, Archipenko 1913
Probably by 1959, Perls Galleries, New York [see note 1]; early 1960s, sold by Perls Galleries to Susan Morse Hilles (b. 1905 - d. 2002), Boston [see note 2]; 1992, gift of Susan Morse Hilles to the MFA. (Accession Date: May 26, 1992)
 This is probably the sculpture that was included in the Perls Galleries exhibition, "Alexander Archipenko Bronzes," September 29 - October 24, 1959, cat. no. 6, as "Statuette Géométrique."  According to notes in the MFA curatorial file.
Gift of Susan Morse Hilles
© Estate of Alexander Archipenko / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York