Six putti playing musical instruments

Italian (probably Genoa)
18th century
about 1700–50


Object Place: probably Genoa, Italy

Dimensions

Overall (Overall; Horn): 66.5 x 34.6 x 35.5 cm (26 3/16 x 13 5/8 x 14 in.) Other (Overall; Violin): 51.6 x 68.6 x 43.2cm (20 5/16 x 27 x 17in.) Other (Overall; Flute): 29.5 x 63.8 x 34.6cm (11 5/8 x 25 1/8 x 13 5/8in.) Other (Overall; Cymbals): 35.1 x 70.5 x 42.8cm (13 13/16 x 27 3/4 x 16 7/8in.) Other (Overall; Mandolin): 40 x 62.8 x 31.7cm (15 3/4 x 24 3/4 x 12 1/2in.) Other (Overall; Trumpet): 32.9 x 70.8 x 57.1cm (12 15/16 x 27 7/8 x 22 1/2in.)

Accession Number

1977.561-566

Medium or Technique

Metal; gilt-lead

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Sculpture

Provenance

Cambiaso family, Genoa; probably from the Cambiaso family to Ildebrando Bossi, Genoa [see note 1]; 1968, sold by Bossi to John Goelet, New York; 1977, gift of Mr. John Goelet to the MFA. (Accession Date: June 8, 1977)

NOTES:
[1] In a letter to Bossi (October 22, 1968), MFA curator Hanns Swarzenski mentioned the "six gilded putti from the Palazzo Cambiaso," which had been recently acquired and lent by Mr. Goelet. A torn label found on the underside of one of the putti reads "P...ità March. S...nia Cambiaso / da restituire al Fiduciario / Ildebrando Bossi Genova" ([...] Marchesa S[tefania?] Cambiaso / to return to the fiduciary / Ildebrando Bossi, Genoa).

Credit Line

Gift of John Goelet in memory of James Bishop Peabody, Secretary of the Museum