Stand for Flower Vase 65.1800b
Made at Sèvres Manufactory (France)
22.5 x 17.6 x 14.5 cm (8 7/8 x 6 15/16 x 5 11/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Soft-paste porcelain decorated in polychrome enamels and gold
Not On View
One of a Pair with 65.1799a-b. The form of these vases is a variant of that of 65.1817-1819 (cat. no. 119). Each vase is composed of two parts. In each, the upper part is of shaped oval cross section. It tapers from a flared, undulating rim to a much narrower base pierced with holes that fits into a shaped oval stand. The stand rests on fourfeet and has four cartouche-shaped openings in the shoulder. The vases are de corated with a pink (rose) ground and, on the upper section, with a reserve offigures in a landscape and three subsidiary reserves of flowers over which interweaving husk pendants are painted in green and gold. Both stands are decorated with four reserves of flowers and similar green and gold husk pendants and garlands. The figural scene on 65.1799 depicts two men drinking and smoking pipes outside a tavern; on 65.1800, two seated men play cards outside a tavern or house. A gilt dentil band decorates the rim of each vase, tooled gilt bands enframes the reserves, and the molded edges of each vase and stand have been gilded.
Vase : incised cn. Stand: interlaced Ls with a dot above and below where the Ls cros at top and bottom, enclosing date letter G, in blue enamel; incised cn.
Until 1831, George William (b. 1758 - d. 1831), Seventh Earl of Coventry, Croome Court, Worcestershire, England; by descent within the family until 1874; June 12, 1874, Earl of Coventry sale, Christie, Manson and Woods, London, lot 150 [see note 1], to Rutter [see note 2]. Until 1885, William Ward, 1st Earl of Dudley (b. 1817 - d. 1885), Park Lane, London; about 1885/1886, sold privately [see note 3]. 1895, William J. Goode, London; July 17, 1895, Goode sale, Christie, Manson and Woods, London, lot 147, unsold; May 20, 1898, Goode sale, Christie, Manson and Woods, London, lot 94b, to Pilkington. 1898, Asher Wertheimer, London [see note 3]. Duveen Brothers, New York. Until 1913, J. Pierpont Morgan (b. 1837 - d. 1913), New York (his inventory numbers P.M. 1743.A - 1743.D); 1913, by descent to J. Pierpont Morgan, Jr.; January 8, 1944, Morgan sale, Sotheby Parke Bernet, New York, lot 487, to Jas. A. Lewis & Son, New York, for Forsyth Wickes (b. 1876 - d. 1964), New York and Newport, RI; 1965, bequest of Forsyth Wickes to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 24, 1965)
 In this and the following 19th century auctions, the pair were sold as part of a garniture, with a vase and cover formed as a "vaisseau à màt;" the painted decoration was attributed to Morin.  According to a handwritten annotation in the auction catalogue.  Jeffrey H. Munger, "The Forsyth Wickes Collection in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston" (Boston, 1992), p. 174. The vases were not included in the Earl of Dudley sale in 1886.
Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection