Marked by WR
Object Place: Europe, London, England
H. 8.4 (3 5/16 in.); W. 8.9 (3 1/2 in.); D. 11 cm (4 5/16 in.); Weight 188.2 gm (6 oz 1 dwt)
Medium or Technique
Alan and Simone Hartman Galleries (Gallery 241)
The standish rests on a flat base of geometric outline with notched edges. At the front is a straight-sided, shield-shaped box with a flat hinged cover. Behind it is a smaller rectangular box of similar construction. Two tall cylindrical quill rests support a D-shaped ridged handle with a quatrefoil finial. On the horizontal bar joining the cylinders is a figure of a putto holding a book and a torch; below is a pierced apron with a scalloped edge. Two cylindrical containers are fitted into molded rims at the back; one is pierced for sprinkling sand, the other has a removable cover to serve as an inkwell. The base and the various boxes are fabricated of sheet that is seamed and soldered; the two covered boxes share the same hinge. The moldings are made of drawn wire, and the ridged handle is formed of wire wrapped around a round core. The finial and the putto are cast.
Christie, Manson & Woods, London, June 6, 1909, lot 65, purchased by Crichton Brothers, London; Sir John Noble, by descent to Michael Noble, sold Christie, Manson & Woods, London, December 13, 1944, lot 78, purchased by the Goldsmiths' & Silversmiths' Co.; purchased from Garrard & Co., London, March 11, 1954, Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour for $2252.
Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour