Statue of a Cat
Late Period, dynasty 26–Ptolemaic Dynasty
Overall: 57.9 cm (22 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This is a substantial wooden statue of a cat and comprises two pieces of wood originally pegged together, now separate. There are tangs beneath the paws and rump for the purpose of supporting the statue in a mount.
1888, probably sold with other property of a collection, Alexandria [see note 1]. After 1890s, Mr. Edward Towry Whyte and Sir William Palin Elderton, K.B.E., England; probably by descent to Sir Elderton's granddaughter, Mrs. Belinda Kirby; October 18, 2005, Christie's, London, lot 94, sold to Peter and Leonora Petrou, London; 2008, sold by Petrous to MFA. (Accession Date: June 25, 2008)
 A distressed, typed label on the wooden plinth reads, "found at Bu…many years…sold with other property of…Alexandria in 1888."
Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously