String of beads and aegis
Object Place: Egypt
Overall: 37 cm (14 9/16 in.) Diameter ball bead: 0.5 cm (3/16 in.) Diameter ring bead: 0.2 cm (1/16 in.) Diameter and length barrel bead: 0.4 x 1.8 cm (3/16 x 11/16 in.) Length x width aegis: 5.5 x 2.3 cm (2 3/16 x 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This string of beads is comprised of ten blue faience ball beads, two blue faience barrel beads, and 167 blue glass ring beads. In the center is a blue faience aegis with lion’s head and an inscription on back.
The New Kingdom (1570-1070 B.C.) saw a great flowering of the jeweler’s art as improvements in the manufacture of faience (a quartz bodied ceramic) combined with the invention of glass-making to produce a dazzling variety of ornaments in new forms and colors.
Between 1900 and 1907, acquired in Egypt by Goddard Du Bois (b. 1869 – d. 1925) and Josephine Cook Du Bois (b. 1864 – d. 1961), New York; 1945, gift of Mrs. Du Bois to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 27, 1945)
Gift of Mrs. Goddard Dubois, Known as: "Goddard and Josephine Du Bois"