Sugar bowl and cover

German
1730–35
Made at Meissen Manufactory (Germany)


Object Place: Europe, Germany

Dimensions

9 cm (3 9/16 in.)

Accession Number

1979.805a-b

Medium or Technique

Hard-paste porcelain with colored enamel and gilded decoration.

On View

Charles C. Cunningham Gallery (Gallery 247)

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Porcelain

The thrown bowl with cover is round in section and in profile has a flattened ovoid form. The bowl has a plain, high foot ring, and the cover has a similarly shaped gallery; both rings are gilt. Inside the gallery on the cover, against a white ground, indianische Blumen are painted in puce, blue, turquoise green, yellow, and iron-red. The cover has a gilt flaring rim. The outside of both bowl and cover are painted with a turquoise ground, each with two cartouche-shaped reserves, diametrically placed. The reserves are framed by gilt-scrolled bands. On the bowl is a harbor scene, painted in a wide range of naturalistic colors including green, manganese violet, yellow, puce, iron-red, brown, and black. In the right foreground a dead tree leans in front of another tree. Standing on a promontory of land is a group of people. Beyond them is a boat, and in the distance, another group of people stands at the base of rocky cliffs. At the right is a large body of water. On the opposite side of the bowl is a scene of a night encampment near a harbor. It Is painted in several shades of brown, black, and manganese violet, with yellow and red used to indicate the moon at the left and the campfire at the lower right. Several men are silhouetted against the fire, some kneeling in front of tents at the right. The night sky is streaked with dark clouds that are outlined with stickwork. On the cover one reserve shows a hay wagon, pulled by a team of horses and followed by several farmhands. The rolling hills in the background are painted in several shades of manganese violet, green, blue, and yellow. In the opposite reserve, a rocky island with a walled tower is painted against a sky filled with gray, manganese violet, and pale orange clouds. Winding toward the island from the left foreground is a green causeway, on which a single figure may be seen. Border of cartouche is gilded and tooled.

Markings

(1) on base, in underglaze blue: crossed swords
(2) on inside of foot ring, imprsesed: a dot

Provenance

Dr. Max Strauss Collection, Vienna; January, 1922, sale, Glückselig and Wärendorfer, Vienna. Baroness Renée de Becker, Brussels, New York, Rome. June, 1958, purchased by Rita and Frits Markus; 1979, gift of Rita and Frits Markus to the MFA.

Credit Line

Gift of Rita and Frits Markus