Sugar bowl with lid
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
19 x 16 x 13.6 cm (7 1/2 x 6 5/16 x 5 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The raised one-piece body of the bowl is bulb-shaped with an everted, scalloped rim and circular splayed and stepped molded foot. Repousséd and chased grapes and leaves are arranged in an asymetrical manner around the bowl. Reserves encircled with C-scrolls and flowers are centered on the front and back of the bowl; one is empty, one inscribed. The repoussé chasing extends to the separate bezel-set domed lid. Two bunches of grapes with leaves form the cast finial. Cast sprig and leaf handles are applied at the widest part of each side of the bowl.
During the 1850s, in the years between his partnerships with William C. Harris and Benjamin Shreve, Henry B. Stanwood worked alone before forming a partnership in 1853 with James D. Stanwood and George D. Low, which continued until 1861 (see fig. 5).
In contrast to the more reserved style of wares that carried the mark of his earlier partnership with William C. Harris (see cat. nos. 210 – 11), during these years Stanwood’s mark can be found on wares in the Rococo style most admired at midcentury.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
"CBC" engraved in looping entwined script inside a reserve shaped by asymetrical scrolls centered on the front.
"H. B. STANWOOD & CO." in a curve (twice), "BOSTON" (twice) and "Coin" struck incuse on bottom
The sugar bowl was probably owned by Mary Caroline ("Carrie" ) Brooks Champney (see 1973.645). It descended through the Brooks family to the donor.
Gift of the Estate of Alice Brooks Spark Wendling