Sugar bowl with tongs

English (London)
1812
Mark of Paul Storr (English, 1771–1844), Made for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell (English, 1797–1843)


Dimensions

Diameter of sugar bowl: 190.5 mm (7 1/2 in.) Length of tongs: 14 cm (5 1/2 in.)

Accession Number

2005.532.5a-b

Medium or Technique

Silver gilt

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Silver

A two-handled sugar bowl, on spreading circular foot and with double serpent handles, the serpents holding an egg in their mouths. Together with a pair of King’s Pattern sugar tongs, the terminals with shell ornament.

Inscription

Stamped on foot: "RUNDELL BRIDGE ET RUNDELL AURIFCES REGIS ET PRINCIPIS WALLIAE LONDINI FECERUNT". Engraved with arms of Richard, 1st Earl Howe (1796-1870), probably added upon the creation of the title in 1821.

Markings

Maker's mark of Paul Storr on both sugar bowl and tongs.

Provenance

Probably by 1821, Richard William Penn Curzon-Howe (b. 1796 - d. 1870), 1st Earl Howe, Gopsall, Leicester, England [see note 1]; by descent within the family to his great-grandson, Francis Richard Henry Penn Curzon (b. 1884 - d. 1964), 5th Earl Howe; July 1, 1953, Earl Howe sale, Christie's, London, lot 139, to N. Bloom and Son, London and New York, for £1,450. July 5, 2000, anonymous sale, Christie's, London, lot 6, to Alan and Simone Hartman, New York. 2005, Koopman Rare Art, London; 2005, sold by Koopman to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 21, 2005)

NOTES:
[1] The arms engraved on the pieces from this Breakfast Service (MFA accession nos. 2005.532.1 - 2005.532.11) are those of Penn, for the 1st Earl Howe. It is not known when he acquired the set, but the arms were probably added around 1821 when his title was created.

Credit Line

Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously and from the Mary S. and Edward Jackson Holmes Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, and Russell B. and Andrée Beauchamp Stearns Fund and by exchange from the Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour, Anonymous gifts in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour (1833-1914), and Bequest of Frank Brewer Bemis