Marked by Walter Scott (1771–1832)
Object Place: Europe, Edinburgh, Scotland
Height: 24cm (9 7/16in.) Diameter: 9.2cm (3 5/8in.) Weight: 504.6 gm (16 oz 4 dwt)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The pear-shaped body rests on a circular stepped foot with gadrooning around its edge. The body is raised with an applied twisted wire midsection. A cut-card of complex outline design radiates from the foot. The foot is constructed of two pieces: a cast, gadrooned rim soldered to a raised, molded section. The raised domed cover has a gadrooned rim and is pierced in a foliate and scroll design. A cut-card design, like that below the rim of the body, radiates from the gadrooned baluster finial. The finial has been repaired. The silver is etched around the cut-card work on the lower part of the body in vertical streaks.
ARMORIALS: engraved on front, the crest and motto of Thomson of Charleton
On underside, maker's mark WS (Jackson, p.545); castle; assay mark P for James Penman; date letter u.
About 1700/1701, probably made for John Thomson, Charleton, Fife, Scotland. By 1986, Brand Inglis, Ltd., London; 1987, sold by Brand Inglis to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 21, 1987)
Harry W. Anderson Fund