Requires Photography

Table (cartibulum)

Roman
Imperial Period
before A.D. 62


Findspot: Italy, Campania, Villa of the Contrada Bottaro, near Pompeii

Catalogue Raisonné

Sculpture in Stone and Bronze (MFA), no. 041.

Dimensions

Overall: 70.2 cm (27 5/8 in.) Block (marble top ): 4.4 x 62.2 x 118.4 cm (1 3/4 x 24 1/2 x 46 5/8 in.) Block (Two stone Griffens stands): 64.1 x 13.3 x 66.4 cm (25 1/4 x 5 1/4 x 26 1/8 in.) Mount (rolling painted wooden base ): 26.7 x 91.1 x 134.6 cm (10 1/2 x 35 7/8 x 53 in.)

Accession Number

1980.201

Medium or Technique

Marble, from Mt. Pentelikon near Athens

On View

Classical Roman Gallery (Gallery 213)

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Sculpture

Table with two supports, decorated with lynx-headed griffins, foliage in relief between the creatures, and a pair of fighting goats in the center of each side. The gryphopous (griffin emerging from a foot) was part of the grotesque style in Roman art that was popular in the first centuries B.C. and A.D. The table top and supports may not have originally belonged together.

The ancient repairs indicate that the table, like other pieces from the site (see 1980.202-206) was damaged in the earthquake of A.D. 62. Tables in ancient gardens served primarily to display objects of value or for religious functions but also were displays of wealth in their own right.

The surfaces are worn. The damage seems to have resulted both from the weathering when the sculptures stood in the courtyard garden of the villa and from the rise of the water table after they were buried in the eruption of Vesuvius in August of 79.

Scientific Analysis:
Isotope ratios - delta13C +2.488 / delta18O -7.827, Attribution - Pentelikon.

Provenance

Found June 16, 1902 during excavation by Gennaro Matrone of the villa of the Contrada Bottaro, located a half mile south of Pompeii; ownership granted to Gennaro Matrone by the Italian government; by 1916: the Cleveland Museum of Art Collection (inv. no. 16.892); purchased by MFA from the Cleveland Museum of Art, June 18, 1980

Credit Line

Classical Department Exchange Fund