Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Eighteenth-century American Arts No. 30
123.82 x 91.44 x 54.29 cm (48 3/4 x 36 x 21 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Mahogany, curly satinwood, purpleheart door reed veneers, soft maple, cherry, white pine, and brass with original blue paper lining inside large drawers
Prudence S. and William M. Crozier, Jr. Gallery (Gallery 121)
Considered among the most refined and sophisticated of all the tambour desks produced by the Seymours, this piece is remarkable for its fine proportions, intricate veneers of imported woods, and restrained simplicity. It descended in the Amory and Codman families and may have been owned originally by John Amory, the Seymour’s landlord and patron.
Amory and Codman families, first owner: John Armory; lent by Miss Martha C. Codman, May 26, 1921; later incorporated into the "The M. and M. Karolik Collection of Eighteenth-Century American Arts."
The M. and M. Karolik Collection of Eighteenth-Century American Arts