Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Buhler, 1972, No. 1
Other (Overall; in Buhler): 16.8 x 20.8 cm (6 5/8 x 8 3/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Manning House (Gallery LG36)
Straight tapering sides, moulded base with indented edge. Flat stepped cover serrated back and front with engraved floral design on top. Scroll handle, rat-tail drop, engraved shield shape tip, double spiral purchase, moulded design on hinge plate, grooves on handle.
Commodious tankards were drinking vessels passed from hand to hand. This early example was made in the shop of Robert Sanderson and his son, a partnership formed after the death of John Hull. It is particularly notable for the whorl of naturalistic flowers engraved on its lid. The initials suggest that it was made for Isaac and Mary Vergoose, of Boston.
Pricked on handle in three circules IMV.
Marked twice on bottom, RS sun above in shaped punch.
Isaac (1637-1710) and Mary (Balston) Vergoose (1648-1690), Boston, m. about 1668; to their daughter Anna (d. 1774); her nephew William Fleet (d. 1784); his sister-in-law (d. 1827). By 1911, owned in 1911 by Mrs. Alexander Fairfield Wadsworth, Boston; 1911, lent by Mrs.Fairfield to MFA; 1912, returned to Mrs. Fairfield; 1930, re-lent by Mrs. Fairfield; 1930, returned; 1935, re-lent by Mrs. Fairfield; 1937, bought by MFA for $15,000 with a gift of John S Ames and Mary Ames Frothingham. (Accession date: March 4, 1937)
Gift of John S. Ames and Mary Ames Frothingham