John Edwards (American, about 1671–1746)
Object Place: Boston, Massachusetts
20.1 x 17.6 x 10.2 cm (7 15/16 x 6 15/16 x 4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
The raised straight-sided tankard with center point is slightly wider at its base. The vessel displays drawn, high, stepped base molding and an everted lip molding. The domed stepped lid has a wide button finial pinned through and peened on the inside. The downturned edge of the flanged lid is scored on its perimeter. A scrolled thumbpiece above a five-part hinge descends to a cast, molded, baluster drop. The seamed handle is attached at its upper section with a shaped drop and at the lower end with an oval disk. The terminus has an oval convex disk with a roughly shaped air vent below.
The modest scale and low dome of this John Edwards tankard, as well as its lack of a midband, illustrate that it was made in the period between the broad-bodied flat-topped tankards of the 1710s and 1720s and the taller high-domed works that prevailed after the 1740s.
This text has been adapted from “Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000,” edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.
On body of tankard oppposite handle is engraved in italics"The Gift of Ebenezer Stone Senr. / to the Church of Christ in Newtown / 1730".
Marked twice, on lid between finial and thumbpiece, and on body to left of handle below lip, "IE" within a shield and crowned over a device, probably a fleur-de-lis.
Ebenezer Stone Sr. (1662/63 – 1754), the donor, was patriarch of the Stone and Trowbridge families who provided three pieces of ecclesiastical plate for the First Church in Newton between 1730 and 1768. In 1686 Stone m. Margaret Trowbridge (1666 – 1710). Their son John (1692 – 1769) gave a tankard marked by Minott and Austin to the First Church in Newton (1973.18). Stone’s brother-in-law Deacon William Trowbridge (1684 – 1744) gave a Jacob Hurd beaker (1973.22).
Gift of the First Church in Newton