Tea bowl and saucer
Tasse-gobelet à quatre pans ronds et soucoupe
Made at Vincennes Manufactory (France)
Object Place: Europe, France
Cup: 7cm (2 3/4in.) Saucer: 2.7 x 10.3 x 11.4cm (1 1/16 x 4 1/16 x 4 1/2in.)
Medium or Technique
Soft-paste porcelain decorated in polychrome enamels and gold
Not On View
Both the Tea bowl (cup) and the saucer are molded in a four-lobed oval form with circular foot rings.
The cup has four quadrilobed panels reserved on the soft yellow ground. Each panel is painted in polychrome enamels with a different harbor scene with figures: one is dominated by a castle with a circular tower; in another, a stone quay is at the left; another shows three men with a barrel and two bundles, with rocks in the foreground and at the left; in the last, there are two men with a barrel and two bundles. Inside is a polychrome flower spray in the oriental manner (indianische Blumen). There are plain gold bands at the foot, bordering the panels, and at the rim. Inside the rim is a gold face-like pattern in the Meissen style. The saucer is decorated on the inside with a quadrilobed panel framed in a gold and rose-pink lace-like pattern. There is also a gold pattern at the rim matching that on the cup. The panel is painted in polychrome enamels with a river landscape with figures: at the left there are trees and a woman and a man, seen from the back, seated on the rocks; a ruined round tower, a water wheel, and a bridge are in the background; in the center foreground there is a woman riding an ass, led by a man with a staff; a houseboat and a tree are at the right. The underside has a plain yellow ground and gold band at the foot. The unglazed foot rings have black flecks. There are repairs on the saucer on the rim above and below the scene.
By 1929, M. Jaubert, Paris [see note 1]. April, 1960, Paris, purchased by Rita and Frits Markus, New York and Chatham, MA; 1980, gift of Rita and Frits Markus to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 14, 1981)
 See Pavillon de Marsan, Palais du Louvre, "La Porcelaine Française de 1673 à 1914," (exhibition catalogue) November - December, 1929, no 671, p.58.
Gift of Rita and Frits Markus