The Cowherd

Le Bouvier

1636
Claude Lorrain (Claude Gellée) (French (active in Rome), 1600–1682)


Catalogue Raisonné

Robert-Dumesnil 8, ii/iii; Russell 27, iii/v; Mannocci 18, iii(B)/vi

Dimensions

Sheet: 13.2 x 20.3 cm (5 3/16 x 8 in.) Platemark: 12.9 x 20 cm (5 1/16 x 7 7/8 in.)

Accession Number

2007.354

Medium or Technique

Etching

Not On View

Collections

Europe, Prints and Drawings

Classifications

Prints

Perhaps the greatest painter of idealized landscapes, as an etcher, Claude Lorrain was the Mediterranean counterpart to his younger contemporary, Rembrandt. Claude combined luminous atmospheric effects with dense textures and details, filling his compositions with poetry and a hint of mystery. Le Bouvier is regarded as the most beautiful of his etched landscapes. As the late afternoon sun casts long, soft shadows, the herdsman pipes to his charges as they slowly ford a quiet stream.

Markings

Verso, bottom left, in pen and brown ink, the mark of Thomas Miller Whitehead, London (1821-1897?)(Lugt 2449); verso, lower left, stamped in purple ink, the mark of Henry Studdy Theobald, London (1847-1934)(Lugt 1375); verso, lower right, in graphite pencil, "M558" (the inventory number of Otto Gerstenberg's secretary Montag (cf. Lugt 2785); verso, lower center, stamped in brown ink, the mark of the MFA (Lugt 282)

Provenance

Thomas Miller Whitehead, London (1821-1897?)(Lugt 2449); Henry Studdy Theobald, London (1847-1934)(Lugt 1375); Theobald sale, Gutekunst, Stuttgart, May 12-14, 1910, lot 350, sold for M 3350 to Meder, for Otto Gerstenberg, Berlin (1848-1935)(Lugt 2785); by descent to his daughter, Margarethe Scharf, Berlin (b. 1889); Joseph Husband Seaman, New York (1865-1948); posthumous J. H. Seaman sale, Parke-Bernet, New York, December 1-2, 1948, lot 80, to Richard H. Zinser, Forest Hills, New York (c. 1883-1983); by descent to his heirs; Nicholas G. Stogdon, Oxford; Samuel Josefowitz, Lausanne, 2006; with Nicholas G. Stogdon and Robert M. Light, Santa Barbara, 2006; sold by Stogdon and Light to Salamander Fine Arts, London, 2006; sold by Salamander Fine Arts to the MFA June 27, 2007

Credit Line

Museum purchase with funds donated by Tom and Jody Gill and by exchange from the Harvey D. Parker Collection—Harvey Drury Parker Fund