The Richmond Race Cup

English (London)
Designed by Robert Adam (Scottish, 1728–1792), Marked by Daniel Smith (English, in partnership with Robert Sharp about 1763–1788), Marked by Robert Sharp (English, active in London, 1763–1788)

Object Place: Europe, London, England


48.6 cm (19 1/8 in.) Weight: 4,408.5 gm (141 oz 15 dwt)

Accession Number


Medium or Technique

Silver gilt

On View

Alan and Simone Hartman Galleries (Gallery 241)





The vase-shaped cup rests on a spreading, spiral flutted foot with a border of gadrooning and rosettes and is surmounted by a knop with rosettes. The body of the cup is raised from a single sheet, with a chased acanthus calyx and water leaves on the lower section. At the center of each side of the body, inside an applied border of beading and bellflowers, are applied cast medallion depicting the saddling-up and the race. A chased garland of fruit and flowers hangs from the rim between chased lion’s masks. A low-relief frieze depicting the race, formed of applied cast figures, encircles the rim. The cast handles are in the form of winged female caryatids with twisted termini. The spool-shaped cover, formed from three raised sections, is chased with water leaves. At the narrowest point a cast border of Greek key is applied. A foliate finial on the top of a fluted and gadrooned dome surmounts the cover. The gilding has apparently been renewed, and a repair to the juncture of the foot has left a grainy surface.

This trophy was awarded to John Hutton, Esquire, whose horse won the Richmond Gold Cup Race in September 1764. Designed by Robert Adam, this cup represents one of the earliest neoclassical models for silver and became the standard for race trophies.


Along rim of cup, engraved "Richmond Races 1764 Sir Marmyduke Wyvill Bart and Thomas Dundas Esq. Stewards"


On bezel of cover, maker's mark DS over RS, (Grimwade 3523); lion passant (repeated on underside of base); leopard's head crowned (repeated on underside of base); date letter J (repeated on underside of base).


September 1764, won by John Hutton, Esq., of Marske Hall, Swaledale, Yorkshire, by descent to J.T. d'Arcy Hutton, Esq., sold Christie's, London, October 4, 1950, lot 122; estate of Mrs. Hilda d'Arcy Sykes, sold Sotheby's, London, March 6, 1969, lot 186; property of the Hutton's Trustees; Christie's, London, July 8, 1987, lot 157, purchased from E & CT Koopman & Sons, London, October 28, 1987, Theodora Wilbour Fund in Memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour (1833-1914). (Accession Date: October 28, 1987)

Credit Line

Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour and Frank Brewer Bemis Fund