The Three Marys at the Sepulchre (from the church of San Baudelio near Berlanga)

Unidentified artist, Spanish (Castilian), 12th century (Spanish (Castilian))


Dimensions

195 x 387.3 cm (76 3/4 x 152 1/2 in.)

Accession Number

27.786

Medium or Technique

Fresco secco transferred to canvas

Out on Loan

Out On Loan

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Paintings

Provenance

From the 12th century until about 1922/1926, the church of San Baudelio de Berlanga, Berlanga de Duero, Spain (original commission); 1922, frescoes acquired by Léon Levi (dealer); about 1922/1926, frescoes removed from Spain, possibly to London, where they were transferred to canvas [see note 1]; 1927, with Gabriel Dereppe, New York [see note 2]; 1927, sold by Dereppe to the MFA for $75000. (Accession Date: November 17, 1927)

NOTES:
[1] See Mojmir S. Frinta, "The Frescoes from San Baudelio de Berlanga," Gesta, 1964. [2] Dereppe was a dealer who worked with Demotte and Co., Paris. Through him, the frescoes from San Baudelio de Berlanga were dispersed among several museums.

Credit Line

Maria Antoinette Evans Fund