"Town and Country" pepper shaker
Designed 1947; made 1950–56
Object Place: Red Wing, Minnesota
Overall: 7.6 x 5.1 x 5.7 cm (3 x 2 x 2 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Earthenware with forest green glaze
The 1940s and 1950s (Gallery 336)
The biomorphic pepper shaker is comprised of a white, low-fired bulbous form that organically twists and narrows to a rounded head. The entire body is covered with a glossy, mottled “Forest Green” glaze. Four holes on the top of the head are arranged in the form of a diamond.
2008, purchased on eBay by Brett Angell, Chelsea, Mass; 2008, gift of Angell to the MFA.
Gift of Brett Angell
Reproduced with permission.