Two-handled covered cup and saucer
gobelet à lait et soucoupe
Made at Sèvres Manufactory (France)
Overall (cup with cover): 12.7 x 13.8 x 10 cm (5 x 5 7/16 x 3 15/16 in.) Overall (saucer): 4.1 x 18.9 cm (1 5/8 x 7 7/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Soft-paste porcelain decorated in polychrome enamels and gold
Not On View
This bucket-shaped cup has two ear-shaped handles and a domed cover surmounted by a flower knop. The saucer has deep sloping sides. The pointillé ground is formed of white circles outlined with red dots on a reddish pink (rosé) ground. On the cup, cover, and saucer, large oval reserves painted with various trophies alternate with smaller undecorated oval reserves. A continuous leaf and berry garland painted in green and blue frames the reserves and links them together; a gilt dot is centered at the top of each smaller reserve. An undecorated circular white reserve enframed by a similar garland is located in the center of the saucer. The stem, leaves, and edges of the petals of the flower that forms the finial are gilded, and gilt dentil bands decorate the rims of the cover, cup, and saucer.
Cup: interlaced Ls in blue enamel; incised fd?
Saucer: incised cross potent
By 1944, J.P. Morgan, New York [see note 1]; March 22-25, 1944, sold by J. P. Morgan at Parke Bernet, lot 625, and bought by Forsyth Wickes, New York and Newport, RI (d. 1964); 1965, bequest of Wickes. (Accession date: December 24, 1965)
 J. P. Morgan inventory numbers P.M. 1615a-c in red enamel paint on underside of cover, cup, and saucer.
Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection