Two-Handled Cup and Cover
Marked by John Berthellot (first mark 1738)
Object Place: Europe, London, England
H. 27.3 cm (10 3/4 in.); W. 22.9 cm (9 in.); DIam (lid) 11.4 cm (4 1/2 in.) Weight: 1,. 298.4 gm (41 oz 15dwt)
Medium or Technique
Alan and Simone Hartman Galleries (Gallery 241)
The inverted pear-shaped body rests on a circular domed foot that is richly chased with grapes, leaves and two satyr’s masks. The raised body of the cup is chased on all sides with sprays of flowers and C-scrolls and flowers on either side form cartouches enclosing an engraved coat of arms. The cast double-scroll handles are surmounted by leaves and terminate in scrolls and leaves. The stepped, domed lid is chased with C-scrolls and flower sprays and surmounted by a finial in the form of the Warburton crest, a Saracen’s head crowned with a wreath and three ostrich feathers. It is raised with an applied rim and bezel. The heavy gilding is presumably a restoration.
ARMORIALS: engraved on side, the arms of Warburton, co.Chester, quartering Dutton, op opposite side the arms of Grosvenor.
INSCRIPTIONS: surrounding the cartouche, the inscription,"SODALIBUS PATERAM HANC DONAVIT / THOMAS SLAUGHTER 1751"; and the motto: "JE VOL LE DROIT AVOIR" on opposite side surrounding cartouche: MUNERA LAETITIAM QUE DEI / SINE CERERE ET BACCHO FRIGET VENUS.
Near rim and on bezel of cover, maker's mark IB (Grimwade 1179); lion passant; leopard's head crowned; date letter q.
November 30, 1960, Christie's, London, lot 79, to Thomas Lumley, Ltd., London; 1961, sold by Thomas Lumley to the MFA for £350. (Accession Date: September 20, 1961)
Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour