Two-handled Cup and Cover
Marked by Thomas Bolton (English, active 1851–1893)
Object Place: Europe, Dublin, Ireland
H. 30.5 cm x W. 34.2 cm x D. 22 cm (12 x 13 7/16 x 8 11/16 in.); Weight: 2,913 gm (93 oz 13 dwt)
Medium or Technique
Alan and Simone Hartman Galleries (Gallery 241)
The cup, raised from heavy sheet, is in the form of an inverted bell resting on a molded, gadrooned foot that is assembled from three cast sections. Around the lower section of the cup, a cut-card border is applied, with eight foliate straps separated by trefoils. The two ear-shaped handles, cast in halves and seemed vertically, are capped with a curling leaf above and beading below. At the juncture of the handle to the body is a cut-card leaf and a tail of beading. The raised domed cover has an applied knurled flange and a bezel formed from sheet. A calyx of eight cut-card leaves surrounds the gadrooned baluster finial, which is cast in halves.
ARMORIALS: engraved on side and cover, the crest of Brodrick of Midleton, co. Cork.
INSCRIPTIONS: engaved on underside, 95=00.
On underside of cup and on top of cover, maker's mark TB( Bennett, p. 176, no. 479) in monogram in a shaped shield (Jackson, p.608); harp crowned; date letter K.
Lady Mary Carbery, Castle Freke, co. Cork, sold Sotheby's, London, March 2, 1921, lot 53; G.W. Panter, Esq., Dublin, sold Sotheby's, London, July 18, 1929, lot 61, purchased by the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company, London, sold to Richard C. Paine, Boston, Gift of Richard C. Paine to the MFA. (Accession Date: March 6, 1930)
Gift of Richard C. Paine