Two-handled Cup and Cover
1733 or 1734
Marked by Paul Crespin (1694–1770)
Object Place: London, England
37.1 x 34.9 x 21.3 cm (14 5/8 x 13 3/4 x 8 3/8 in.) Weight: 4,280.2 gm (137 oz 13 dwt)
Medium or Technique
Alan and Simone Hartman Galleries (Gallery 241)
The bell-shaped body rests on a domed, stepped foot with a gadrooned rim that is constructed of cast and raised sections. The body was raised from heavy sheet. A molded wire divides the body at the midsection. The lower half is decorated with cast and chased steps against a matted ground. The straps incorporate portrait medallions in the antique style, shells, and bellflowers. On the upper half of the body an applied cast cartouche, contained in a matted ground and composed of scrolls, fruit, and foliage, encases an inscritption on one side and a monogram on the other. The ear-shaped handles, cast in two pieces, terminate in scrolls below the wire and have acanthus caps. The domed, stepped lid has a baluster finial, cast in two vertical pieces. It is raised in a single piece with an applied bezel and cast gadrooned rim. The dome is decorated with cast alternating straps similar in design to those on the body of the cup, but smaller in scale. They are set against a richly matted ground.
Engraved in cartouche on one side, initials HF in double cipher; engraved in cartouche on other side, "The TRUSTEES in Acknowledgment of the Judgment Integrity & Conduct of Mr. H Flitcroft in Designing and Building the Parish Church of St GILES'S in the Fields have Presented him with this Cup. 1734"; scratched on under side of base, 138=2
On underside of cup, maker's mark PC (similar to Grimwade 2143a); lion passant (repeated on bezel of cover); leopard's head crowned (repeated on bezel of cover); date letter S (repeated on bezel of cover).
Presented to Henry Flitcroft in 1734; purchased by Ogden Mills Bishop by descent to his great-nephew, James Peabody, Theodora Wilbour Fund in Memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour. Gift of Mrs. James Peabody to the MFA. (Accession Date: May 10, 1978)
Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour and Gift of Mrs. James Peabody