Two-handled cup and cover

English (London)
about 1650
Marked by Richard Blackwell II (English, active about 1646–1667)

Object Place: Europe, London, England


H. 24.1 cm (9 1/2 in.); W. 24.1 cm (9 1/2 in.); Diameter (lid) 19.1 cm (7 1/2 in.); Weight 1,459.6 gm (46 oz 18 dwt)

Accession Number


Medium or Technique

Silver gilt

On View

Alan and Simone Hartman Galleries (Gallery 241)





The cup rests on a low trumpet-shaped foot. The body of the cup has slightly flaring sides and is lobed in six sections. The ear-shaped handles are modeled with an abstract organic motif, incorporating a serpent’s head. The domed cover is also hexagonally lobed. The finial is urn shaped. The body of the cup and the cover are decorated with panels matting within engraved outlines. The coat of arms is engraved in an oval reserve in the center panel of each side; a similar reserve on each side of the cover contains the engraved crest. The foot, body, and cover are raised. The rim of the cup is thickened. The handles and finial are cast; the finial has been reattached with a modern screw. The gilding has been renewed.


Armorials: Engraved in center panel on front and back of cup, the arms of Berkeley and Cotheridge, Worcester, possibly for Rowland Berkeley, Esq., of Cotheridge, high Sheriff of Worcester in 1764 and Member of Parliament for Droitwich in 1774; engraved in center panels on front and back cover, the crest of Berkeley

Inscriptions: Inside cover and under foot, scratched, 47 00/3846


On rim (struck three times) and on inside cover, maker's mark a hound sejant in a shaped shield (Jackson, 1921, p. 123; rev. ed. 1989, p. 120)


R. B. Berkeley, Esq., Cotheridge Court, Worcester, sold Christie, Manson & Woods, London, June 13, 1929, lot 35, purchased by the Goldsmiths' and Silversmiths' Co., London; Richard C. Paine, Boston, sold Parke Bernet, New York, April 15, 1950, lot 57; purchased from Thomas Lumley, Ltd., London, September 18, 1958, Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour.


Credit Line

Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour