Two-handled cup and cover

English
1657–58
Mark of WC in a clipped rectangle (English)


Object Place: Europe, London, England

Dimensions

H. 12.7 cm (5 in.); W. 19.7 cm (7 3/4 in.); Diameter (of rim) 13 cm (5 1/8 in.); Weight 636.5 gm (20 oz 8 dwt)

Accession Number

35.1558a-b

Medium or Technique

Silver

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Silver

The cup rests on a low flaring foot ring. The shape of the cup is flattened sphere. The body of the vessel is chased on the lower third with a stylized pattern of leaves against a matted ground. The two cast handles are C-shaped, with caryatid figures and scrolls. The cover fits tightly over the rim of the cup. It is chased with a pattern of leaves similar to that on the body of the cup. The finial rests on a spool-shaped stem; it has a broad flat top. The body of the cup is raised, embossed, and matted. The formed foot and cast handles are applied. The cover raised, embossed, and matted. The raised finial is applied. The foot, formed of a previously marked piece of plate, is a replacement.

Inscription

Pounced on side of cup, W over IE

Markings

On base of cup and on outside rim of cover, maker's mark WC in a clipped rectangle (Jackson, 1921, p. 128; rev. ed. 1989, p. 124); leopard's head crowned; date letter v; lion passant (repeated on knop of cover); on foot rim, maker's mark -R (indecipherable); leopard's head crowned; lion passant; date letter q for 1633

Provenance

St. Andrew's Castle, Bury St. Edmunds [see note 1]. William E. Godfrey, New York; 1928, sold by William E. Godfrey to Frank Brewer Bemis; 1935, bequest of Frank Brewer Bemis to the MFA. (Accession Date: November 7, 1935)

Notes:
[1] This has not been verified.

Credit Line

Bequest of Frank Brewer Bemis