Two-handled jar (amphora)
about 540–530 B.C.
Close to Exekias
Place of Manufacture: Greece, Attica, Athens
CVA Boston 1, pl. 12; Highlights: Classical Art (MFA), p. 035.
Height: 51.4 cm (20 1/4 in.); diamater: 33 cm (13 in.)
Medium or Technique
Ceramic, Black Figure
Greek Classical Gallery (Gallery 215B)
Side A: The Dioskouroi harness a biga.
Helen stands at the left, raising her left hand in a gesture of farewell. The Greek inscription ‘Helene’ (HELENE) above her head. Polydeukes steadies the chariot with his left foot. Behind his head and back the inscription ‘Polydeuces’ ([P]OLYDEUKES) in retrograde. Kastor wears a long white robe. Inscription above his head, ‘Kastor’ (KASTOR). A groom, Aischines, holds Simos, the off-horse. The inscription ‘Aischines’ (ASCHINES) above the figure’s head, and the Greek inscription ‘Simos’ (SIMOS) underneath the horse’s head. A second groom, Eurylochos, holds the near-horse. To the left of his legs the inscription in retrograde ‘Eurylochos’ (EURYLOCHOS). Inscription ([?]IOS) above the horse’s head that is probably part of its name. To the left of the horse’s front legs, the inscription ‘Kason is handsome’ (KAS^ON KAL^OS) in retrograde.
Side B: Dionysos, ivy-wreathed and seated on a folding stool, drinks from a kantharos in the midst of a grapevine populated with twelve diminutive satyrs. Inscription above and to the right of his head, ‘Dionysos’ (DIONYSOS).
From Left to Right
ΚΑΣΟΝ ΚΑΛΟΣ (Retr)
By 1950: with Münzen und Medaillen, A.G., Malzgasse 25, Basel, Switzerland (according to the purchase declaration on the invoice for Customs, the vase had been purchased by Münzen und Medaillen A.G. from Jean Dubois in Paris in 1950); purchased by MFA from Münzen und Medaillen, A.G., June 19, 1963
Henry Lillie Pierce Residuary Fund and Francis Bartlett Donation of 1900