Virgin and Child with Saint Jerome
52.7 x 39 cm (20 3/4 x 15 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Oil on panel
Italian Renaissance Gallery E (Gallery 219)
This early work displays the hallmarks of Pintoricchio’s style-serene figures, a remarkable play of light on surfaces, and the skillful rendering of such minute details as the hair of the figures here. Pintoricchio’s nickname, which means “little painter,” referred to his small size and not to his artistic reputation. During his lifetime he was considered one the outstanding painters in Italy and worked for popes and their families. This painting is in excellent condition except for the Virgin’s mantle, which has darkened from its original brilliant blue.
About 1907, Bacchettoni collection, Via del Trittoni, Rome [see note 1]. By 1920, Duveen, New York [see note 2]; 1920, sold by Duveen to Mrs. W. Scott Fitz (Henrietta Goddard Wigglesworth) (b. 1847 - d. 1929), Boston; 1920, gift of Mrs. Fitz to the MFA. (Accession date: April 1, 1920) NOTES:  According to an April, 20, 1920 letter from A.E.M Paff to Arthur Fairbanks, the painting was seen around 1907 in the Palazzo Bacchettoni, Via del Trittoni, Rome. It was owned by Signor Bacchettoni, the mayor of San Gemini, near Narni. Paff was told that the painting may have come from the Vatican, through a family member who was a Cardinal.  Cat. 188 in "Duveen Pictures in Public Collections of America" 1941
Gift of Mrs. W. Scott Fitz