Wall clock (Thirty-hour timepiece)
Object Place: Roxbury, Massachusetts, United States
Overall: 63.2 x 22.5 x 11.4 cm (24 7/8 x 8 7/8 x 4 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Mahogany, pine, brass and silvered brass
Not On View
The case is formed as a box-on-box, the lower box being mahogany with a step molded base and flaring slightly at the top to a molded shelf. The upper case is formed as a swinging door with an eccemtric glass opening in the center between molded shelves. The base is scrolled to simulate feet and the top is crowned by a pierced and scrolled finial with an applied wood button at its base, and with three brass urn finials. The silvered brass face has Roman and Arabic numbers in black for the hours and minutes respectively, and is fitted with a second hand on the upper part of the dial. It is engraved with flowers and signed across the center “Simon Willard.” The minute hand is sword-shaped and the hour hand filed with a double piercing below a trident point. The brass frame of the face has a roped front edge , and there is a brass bell above with an apostrophe-shaped hammer. At the side there is a brass retaining hook.
The backboard is pine, of double thickness behind the upper box. The lower box fits into slots in the backboard, and a projection from the top holds it in place when the door is closed.
Face signed across the center: "Simon Willard"
In pencil in script on backboard: "Cleaned / July 14 / 1876 / L G Smith [?]"
On inside of lower box in pencil; "2/25/27" and "CA" conjoined
By family tradition, probably owned originally by Pyam and Olive Lovell Cushing of Hull, Massachusetts, married in 1805; by descent to Miss Eliza Jones Cushing of Hull and Auburndale; by descent to her niece, Mary Lovell Cushing Barker, Boston; by descent to her son, Walter S. Barker (d. 1925), Boston; by descent to his wife; 1934, gift of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Stephen Barker (Accession Date February 1, 1934)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Stephen Barker