Wall tile fragment
Old Kingdom, Dynasty 5–6
Length x Height x thickness: 11.3 x 9.2 x 2 cm (4 7/16 x 3 5/8 x 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
This inlay tile is made of blue-green glazed faience. It is possibly originally from the side of a box or small shrine. There are recessed figures for additional inlay in the form of three standing goddesses: (right to left) Neith, Renenutet, and Ipy the Great. All have name labels in recessed hieroglyphic text. Each figure has one arm hanging down with an ankh (hieroglyphic sign for “life”) in the hand. Renenutet also holds a was-scepter at front. Some of an original gypsum inlay remains in the figures and glyphs as do slight traces of gilding. The right side of the tile and the upper left corner are broken off.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way. (Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way