Warren House, Roxbury

1858
Alfred Thompson Bricher (American, 1837–1908)


Catalogue Raisonné

Karolik (1962) cat.86

Dimensions

Sheet: 34.3 x 40.6 cm (13 1/2 x 16 in.) Arched top: 30.5 x 36.2 cm (12 x 14 1/4 in.)

Accession Number

61.262

Medium or Technique

Watercolor and graphite on paper

Not On View

Collections

Americas, Prints and Drawings

Classifications

Watercolors

Center, mid-Victorian house with piazzas, set behind large elms. Three round pendants, each 2 1/4 in. in diamter. Left pendant: Warren Homestead. 1720 - c. 1846. Right pendant: side view of the central mid-Victorain house. Lower center pendant: Arms of Warren family. The “Warren House” was built about 1846 by Dr. John C. Warren on site of Warren Homestead. The house still stands on Warren Street opposite the Joseph Warren statue which is located at the junction of Moreland, St. James and Cliff Sts., Roxbury. The piazza at right no longer exists; wall left foreground, has been broken to provide entrance. According to the present owner the house, now called “Warren Manor,” has been a rooming house for the last 36 years.

Inscription

Inscribed in watercolor lower rigth: A T Bricher / 1858

Provenance

Maxim Karolik, Newport; Gift to MFA May 10, 1961

Credit Line

Gift of Maxim Karolik for the M. and M. Karolik Collection of American Watercolors and Drawings, 1800–1875